Friday, February 3, 2012

Perhaps I Should Watch a Political Debate Someday

My wife's cousin Cari will probably smack me upside the head for making this admission, but I've never actually sat down and watched a political debate of any kind. Yep, it's the truth. I'm not a very politically active individual beyond sort of knowing the general stance of the major candidates once all of the primaries are finished. It's just never something that has interested me all that much.

Everyone talks a lot about how it's so important to vote, and I did the first time I was able to vote even though I had to do it using an absentee ballot. Four years ago I didn't vote though. I wasn't pleased with the idea of either McCain or Obama being elected president at the time so I decided I didn't feel like wasting my vote since it's pretty clear nobody outside of the Democratic or Republican party is ever actually going to win.

For whatever reason I'm feeling a tickle in the back of my mind like I should start paying attention to politics a little more at this point in my life. Why, I'm not really all that sure because my opinion is that a lot of things being discussed by politicians don't have much overall impact on me given my position in society and life. But, that tickle is still there for whatever reason.

Right now, if I were forced to walk into a voting booth at gunpoint and place a vote I would vote for Mitt Romney, but I couldn't give you a very good reason why beyond the fact that I haven't been all that impressed with the work Barack Obama has done and I'm not convinced he deserves another four years in office and the fact that Newt Gingrich looks weird and I think foreign dignitaries that see him walk into a meeting with them are going to think it's a joke of some sort and that the president is still out in the hallway. He just doesn't look presidential to me.

So, I think I'll watch a debate and actually pay attention even if I'm not sure what I'll learn from it. The question is, which one should I actually watch at this point in the campaign?

1 comment:

  1. Caleb, you're the best.

    And if I were you, I wouldn't watch a debate until the Republican primaries are over. Romney is going to win Utah anyway in those, and the debates have been so dirty. Many pundits are saying the Republican primaries this year are the dirtiest campaigns ever.

    So watch a general election debate with me instead. I will bring cookies.

    ReplyDelete